Buonvicino was founded in the late 13th century by the inhabitants of three hamlets: Salvato, Trigiano and Tripidone. Buonvicino enjoys a very good position; it’s not far from the Tyrrhenian Sea ( it’s less than 10 km from here) and, at the same time, is near the mountains Montea, Frattina and Commaroso. Close to the historical center, at 967 mt above sea level, there is a medieval site called Sasso dei Greci. In 2009 and 2011, in this place, the Archaeology Department of University of Calabria found objects of various materials: ceramic, bronze, iron and gold. Thanks to these digs, researchers estimate that Sasso dei Greci dates back to 11th and 12th centuries, in Byzantium or Longobard period. The land surrounding Buonvicino is characterised by dense woods and rich vegetation of Pinus heldreichii (it is the symbol of the Pollino National Park), oaks, wild orchids and lady orchids. From this land you can admire the panoramic view of the valley of Corvino river, a wonderful gorge which comes behind the town, in a location called Varco del Palombaro. In the area of Madonna della neve, in the mountain that overhangs the historical center at 750 mt of altitude, stands the great Sanctuary dedicated to the Saint Mary of the Snows, which dates back to the century XVII.
The most popular natural beauties of Buonvicino are caves, for example Angel’s cave (or Lion’s cave), the reeds’ water cave, but the most famous cave is near Corvino river and is dedicated to Saint Ciriaco. It’s one of the most extraordinary spectacles in nature of this town with stalactites and stalagmites of unimaginable sizes and shapes. The historical center of Buonvicino preserves numerous traces of the past, the most important is the Parish Church, built between the end of 1500 and the beginning of 1600. The Church keeps the relics and the silver statue of the Patron Saint Ciriaco Abate, a basilian monk who lived in Buonvicino around the year 1000.