Belvedere Maritime is a town in the province of Cosenza. Its territory stretches along the Tyrrhenian coast, between the resorts Serluca Calabaja and Santa Litterata, with Capo Tirone at its center. The historical center preserves all the characteristics of a Medieval village, with buildings, streets and doors and dominates a wide view, both mountainous and marine. The origin of the settlement, formerly known as Belviderium, there are uncertain: the discovery of a bronze ax still indicates its attendance in Prehistoric times (X-IX century BC). Other archaeological finds, whose reproductions are on display at the Museum of Historical Memory "City of Belvedere Maritime", can be attributed to Brettie burials (IV-III century BC). The Romans organized the agricultural use of the area between the first and the third century AD, while the Normans has the merit of the first fortification, with the construction of the Castle on the rock by Roger the Norman (1031-1101). In the Anjou era the territory has had a strategic importance, becoming a "fortified land" until the middle of the fifteenth century. The Belvedere Castle passed from Monforte to Sangineto, then to Sanseverino. Heroic was the defense of the Castle in 1289 against Aragon attacks, who conquered only in 1490. Of particular significance is the Battle of Lepanto (October 7, 1571), in which he distinguished the brave fellow Cecco Pisano, sailor and explorer. In 1622 the city was assigned to Tiberio Carafa, first Belvedere’s Prince. Also known as the "City of Love", Belvedere houses part of the Saint Valentine’s relics, at the Capuchin Convent.