Thecastle rises on the hill of Acquafredda, so called for a fresh water spring,dominating the Cixerri valley.
Probablybuilt in the first half of the 13th century, the castle had a defensivefunction as the other castles built on the borders of the Giudicati. The castlewas built by count Ugolino della Gherardesca, quoted by Dante Alighieri in theDivina Commedia; it was controlled by the Donoratico della Gherardesca and afterwardsby the Pisan government and, in 1326, it was conquered by the Aragonese.Finally it was abandoned.
Thecastle, now a little more than a crumbling wall, was part of a fortifiedstructure on three levels: the village, the tower- tank and the real castle.The village, defended by a crenellated wall, was inhabited by the servants andthe troops, with stables and storehouses. On the second level there is abarrel- vaulted tower-tank, with three rooms for water. The castle wasoriginally U- shaped on three levels, now only the guard tower is visible.
Partially accessible to disabled people.