Castello di Acquafredda
The castle rises on the hill of Acquafredda, so called for a fresh water spring, dominating the Cixerri valley.
Probably built in the first half of the 13th century, the castle had a defensive function as the other castles built on the borders of the Giudicati. The castle was built by count Ugolino della Gherardesca, quoted by Dante Alighieri in the Divina Commedia; it was controlled by the Donoratico della Gherardesca and afterwards by the Pisan government and, in 1326, it was conquered by the Aragonese. Finally it was abandoned.
The castle, now a little more than a crumbling wall, was part of a fortified structure on three levels: the village, the tower- tank and the real castle. The village, defended by a crenellated wall, was inhabited by the servants and the troops, with stables and storehouses. On the second level there is a barrel- vaulted tower-tank, with three rooms for water. The castle was originally U- shaped on three levels, now only the guard tower is visible.
Partially accessible to disabled people.