Museo per la Storia dell'Università di Pavia
The idea of creating a scientific collection, a historical-doctor, was born in the eighteenth century, under the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria, in the climate of Enlightenment; while current Museum was opened in 1936 to accommodate the objects from the exhibition held to mark the centenary of the death of Antonio Scarpa (1752-1832), famous surgeon and anatomist founder of the Anatomical Pavese School. The museal path, at the headquarters of the former Faculty of Medicine, near the ancient Anatomy Theatre entitled to Scarpa, keeps the setting of the time. The Museum is divided into two main sections: "Section of Physics" and "Medicine Section". The origin of the first collection dates back to the ancient Physics Laboratory, in 1771 and is divided into the "Volta Physics Laboratory", containing all the tools belonged to the physicist Alessandro Volta (1745-1827) during his years of university teaching; and in the "Physics Laboratory of the University", restored and opened recently to the public. The second section includes four rooms named after the great masters of Medicine: "Antonio Scarpa", "Luigi Porta", "Camillo Golgi" and the latest "Adolfo Ferrara". In this section it can see tools, memorabilia and anatomical preparations and doctors from the eighteenth century to the present. The anatomical material, the main core of the collection, is covering preparations in several areas, preserved in formaldehyde to illustrate specific surgeries and experiments.