Via Toledo stretches for about a mile, between Dante Square and Trieste and Trento Square. Since the sixteenth century it's a landmark in the commercial and cultural life of the city, often cited by the Grand Tour, Stendahl and Neapolitan songs. Made by the Viceroy Pedro Álvarez de Toledo in 1536 to a design of Ferdinando Manlio and Giovanni Benincasa, the Street ran along the old Aragonese city walls. In the mid-twentieth century it suffered significant alterations because of the work to upgrade the Charity District, with the construction of disproportionate buildings that have upset its original character. The Street remains one of the main tourist destinations of Naples, where it can admire important palaces, churches and basilicas.