Monument

Fontana del Gigante

Via Nazario Sauro, Napoli

It is one of the early seventeenth century monumental fountains in Naples, located in the historic center, a short distance from Castel dell'Ovo. Work by Pietro Bernini and Michelangelo Naccherino, they realized that on the order of the Duke of Alba, Don Antonio Alvarez of Toledo, the Fountain was removed in 1815 from the original place and stay long without placement. The monumental Fountain is divided into three arches, which are placed above the great emblems that symbolize the city, the Viceroy and the King of the period. Over there is the central cup supported by two marine animals, while in the other two arches are placed statues of river gods that hold in their hands whales, and cornucopias.

Potrebbero interessarti