Museo archeologico e centro di documentazione siti territoriali
Via San Rinaldo, 7, Nocera Umbra, (Perugia)
Archaeological Museum and Documentation Center of Territorial Sites The Centro di Documentazione dei Siti Territoriali, inaugurated in 2010, is hosted in the former Municipal Palace and has a documentation center collecting all the archaeological material found from the end of the 1980s. It is organized into three sections: the Prehistoric and Proto-historical period, the Roman period and the Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages. The Prehistoric and Proto-historical section displays many Stone tools, made of flint and limestone, lithic reductions in pebbles and flakes dating back to the time of the Homo Erectus and Homo Sapiens time, in addition to fragments of earthenware and metal items in both Bronze and Iron. The Roman section displays items in black terracotta, black varnished ceramics, marbles, inscriptions and mosaics coming from the many settlement structures and sepulchral sites spread out along the Flaminian Way, dated 220-219 B.C. Finally, the Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages section mainly collects finds coming from the Longobard necropolis Del Portone, one of the richest complexes in Italy, with its 165 tombs furnished with gold, silver and precious stone items, ceramics and metals. Yet, most of the finds are exhibited in the Early Middle Age Museum in Rome. The walls of the Conference Room of the Museum are decorated by frescoes of the 15th century. This wing of the building was originally the Church of Santa Maria della Mattonata; in 569 A.D., it was transformed into a Seminary and then after several changes during the centuries became—after the Unification of Italy, in 1861—an integral part of the contiguous Municipal Palace.