Luogo - Museum
Museo civico di San Francesco
Where Piazza Caprera, Nocera Umbra (Perugia)
Civic Museum of San Francesco The Museo Civico di San Francesco is housed in the old Church of San Francesco in the historical center of Nocera Umbra, in Piazza Caprera, which used to be the medieval main square of the Commune. Reopened in 2003, after the 1997 earthquake and the consequent restoration, the Museum displays its collections inside the former Church of San Francesco. The construction of this church, dated around the 13th century, was later enlarged and decorated by a series of frescoes of the 15th and early 16th century, and many of them can be attributed to Matteo da Gualdo—St Francis Receiving the Stigmata, The Madonna and Child and The Annunciation—and his acolytes. The Museum is responsible for the conservation of very important removable items like the Cross Shaped of the second half of the 13th century, coming from the old Church of San Francesco, the large Polyptych of Niccolò di Liberatore, called l’Alunno, executed in 1483 for the main altar of the Duomo of the town and SS Joachim and Anna at the Golden Gate of Matteo da Gualdo. Two Longobard Funerary Goods, one of a male and the other of a female, coming from the Museo dell’Alto Medioevo in Rome—found in the necropolis near Nocera of Il Portone, discovered in the 19th century—have been permanently placed in the Museum.