Luogo - Museum
Where via XIII settembre, Nepi (Viterbo)
The museum is located inside the Town Hall, a splendid Renaissance building designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger. Currently it is possible to visit only two rooms, but a new structure which will allow a wider exhibition of the materials that cover a period of time going from the 7th century B.C. up to the Renaissance age is being built. The first room of the Museum contains material from the necropolises dating back to the Faliscan age that surround the inhabited area. Many of the finds date back to the 7th century B.C. (Orientalising period) and come from the Cerro necropolis. In the second room, there are different types of objects from various periods. The Roman age is mainly represented by a small coin section and marble fragments, to which some burial and votive altars, temporarily placed inside the Town Hall will be added. The most recent finds belong to the period of maximum splendour of Nepi, that is, the 15th-16th century. There are also a couple of coats of arms bearing the symbols of the family together with those of the Aragonese from Forte dei Borgia: the friezes represent rare evidence of the period when Lucrezia Borgia, after having married Alfonso d'Aragona Duke of Bisceglie, was invested by her father, Alessandro VI, with the Duchy of Nepi (1499-1501).