Luogo - Point of interest
Teatro dei Rustici
Where Piazza del Municipio, 5, Montegabbione (Terni)
“Dei Rustici” Theater The Teatro dei Rustici is located in Monteleone d’Orvieto, a small historical burgh in the extreme north of Terni province. The original destination of Monteleone d’Orvieto Theater premises was that of a barn annexed to the old civic palace of the village. This is easily proved by reading the Tempera inscription, painted at the entrance of the audience hall, that says: “The Community of Monteleone, which transformed this barn, in the year 1732, into a theater testifies the commoners’ love for civic education and serene training in arts”. The small Theater of Monteleone d’Orvieto deserves a visit both for the beauty of its interior, structured in two orders of boxes, and for its theatric program held during the year. The Theater of Monteleone d’Orvieto was built in 1732, inside an edifice originally destined to be a granary of the old civic palace of the village, on the initiative of some young people, who requested and obtained from the Municipality the authorization to hold the representation of some comedies during Carnival recurrences. Notwithstanding the contrasts inside the public administration, particularly inside the Papal government fearing the representation would be inspired by Risorgimento revolutionary ideas, the theatric activities continued, even in the next centuries. With the passing of time, the building was modified—widened and restored—several times, in particular in 1894 and between 1984-1986. Today the Theater has a horseshoe-shape with two orders of boxes that can accommodate up to 99 people.