Luogo - Museum
Museo "Umberto Mastroianni"
Where Largo Jacopa de’ Sottesoli snc, Marino (Roma)
Inaugurated in 2000, the Museum is located in the former church of S. Lucia, built on a Roman tank that can be dated back to between the 1st and 2nd centuries A.D. and reused as a Christian worship place before the 11th century. In 1102, the first real Church building was built, and it included a house-tower. Around the mid-14th century, the church was redecorated and was completely transformed over the following century with the construction of a series of ogival arches. It was then deconsecrated in 1669 for the construction of the Collegiate Church of S. Barnaba. After the suppression it was adapted to different functions until, after 1870, the building became state property and was used for profane purposes. In 1944, it was damaged by the bombing, reconstructed, and adapted as a shelter for refugees. Finally, in 1974 it was bought by the Marino Town Council to house cultural events. The Museum currently exhibits finds from the surrounding territory, and includes classic statues, burial stones, sarcophagi, inscriptions, proto-historic depositions and a fragment of altar from the ancient church.