Cattedrale di San Feliciano (Duomo)
The Cathedral, dedicated to St. Feliciano, was erected on the site of a previous religious building in the IX-X century, where according to tradition the Saint was buried. A radical transformation of the original was directed by Cola da Caprarola, which gave him the existing plant: a Latin cross with a single nave and vaulted ceilings, and a dome at the intersection of the arms, designed by Giuliano Baccio d'Agnolo between 1543 and 1548. A new transformation occurred from 1772 to 1819, when the interior was rebuilt in neo-Classical style designed by Giuseppe Piermarini. The main facade looks, after the twentieth century restoration, with a simple "hut" form. The portal is a blind loggia and a Romanesque rose window between the symbols of the evangelists, dominated by the mosaic "Christ Enthroned with Saints Feliciano and Messalina", by Charles Botti 1904. On Republic Square raises the front side, as if it were a church in itself: it has a hanging in rows of white and red stone, the central portal, work by the masters Rodolfo and Binello, shows a solar disk in the bezel. On the sides of the loggia, there are two humiliated griffins, in memory of the victory of Foligno on Perugia. Inside, the altar of the right transept houses a fifteenth-century crucifix and a praying St. Francis by Francis Pizzoni (1826); to the left is access to Iacobilli Chapel, frescoed by Vespasiano Strada with "Stories of St. Feliciano." The presbytery has a rectangular shape; just behind, it is the munificent gilded wooden tabernacle by Andrea Calcioni (1698), a copy of the most famous present in St. Peter's Basilica, in Rome.