In 1570 it was laid the first stone, but the work was completed in 1622. From 1718 to 1720 worked here Flemish painter William Borremansche, who painted the vault, the nave and the altarpiece of the Immaculate Conception. Work on the prospectus and aising of left bell began in 1782 and ended with the construction of right bell tower in 1856. In 1922 work began on the expansion that, after the interruption of the Second World War, was completed in 1946. Cathedral has a wide facade pilasters and flanked by two towers. The interior has a Latin cross, is divided into three naves supported by fourteen arches, each dedicated to a character from the Old Testament. In the second righ chapel the presence of a wooden statue of the Immaculate Conception (1760) with drapery in silver foil. In the chapel located next to the longest are placed representations of Michael Archangel (patron Saint of the city), a wooden statue by Stefano Li Volsi and marble sculptures of Gabriel and Raphael Archangels made by Vincenzo Vitaliano. On the main altar you can admire the great altarpiece depicting Immaculate with Saints, by Borremans. Finally, a precious carved and decorated organ, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, by Filippo Paladini, and a crucifix attributed to Fra' Umile da Petralia.