Fontana del Tritone
Triton Fountain consists of a bronze sculpture depicting a merman that tries to tame a seahorse in front of two sea monsters that lie in wait. It was sculpted by Michele Tripisciano in 1890, designed by Gaetano Averna, and initially placed in the lobby of Del Carmine Palace. It was placed and inaugurated in its current location, in the central Garibaldi Square, in 1956. Between the end of 2008 and 2009 Fountain was restored and properly illuminated. Often its stylized form is used as a symbol of the city.