Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta
The Patriarchal Basilica of St. Mary Assumed is the main religious building of Aquileia (UD). The oldest remains date from the fourth century, the current Basilica was built in the eleventh century and rebuilt in XIII century. Overlooking Chapter Square, together with the Baptistery and the imposing bell tower. Founded in 313 by Bishop Teodoro, with the direct support of the Emperor Constantine, the buildings known as "Teodoriane Classrooms" (whose remains are still visible in the nave and under the foundations of the bell tower) are probably the first public complex of worship for Christians. The next phase saw the expansion of the Basilica north of the classroom and the creation of new rooms. When the Huns devastate the city (452), large construction projects were abandoned. Only in the ninth century, the patriarch Massenzio, with the support of Charlemagne, begins the work of restoration of the ancient buildings. The Maxentius's Basilica reuses the south classroom of the old complex, with the addition of so-called Church of the Pagans, between the Cathedral and the Baptistery. In 988 an earthquake causes extensive damage, that will lead to a radical restoration of the complex in the Romanesque style, full of Carolingian-Ottonian influences. A new earthquake, in 1348, requires the replacement of the arches of the nave (lancet). The last major project dates back to the sixteenth century, when Venetians craftsmen and carpenters were called to realize the grand wooden ceiling that still can be admired. The depictions of the main floor is divided into four bays. Outside, behind the Basilica there is the cemetery of the fallen of the First World War.