The convent complex of San Francesco al Corso dates to the 13th century. In 1935, Antonio Avena, director of the Civic Museums, opened to the public the so-called ”Tomb of Juliet“. This site, according to legend, is where the sarcophagus holding the bodies of Romeo and Juliet was placed, and it naturally became a tourist attraction.
The annexed "G.B. Cavalcaselle" Fresco Museum, inaugurated in 1975, houses fresco cycles from Veronese buildings dating from Medieval times through the 16th century as well as 19th century sculpture, while the church of San Francesco houses grand-scale works on canvas dating from the 16th to the 18th centuries. The underground level contains a collection of Roman amphorae from the 1st century B.C. found during excavations in the area. Medieval and modern lapidary material (both architectural and sculptural) is housed in the courtyard, pending the installation of a definitive lapidary exhibition.