Luogo - Point of interest
Where Piazza del teatro, Trevi (Perugia)
“Clitunno” Theater The Teatro Clitunno stands on the homonym square, in the historical center of Trevi. This theater undoubtedly deserves a visit for the elegance of its venue, the interior decorations and its stage curtain, both executed on a design of Domenico Bruschi, but also for the stage plays periodically presented in it. The current Theater was built on a design of the architect Domenico Mollaioli, to replace the by then crumbling old Teatro Clitunno, which had been hosted inside the Municipal Palace since the 17th century. The work started in 1874 and was concluded thanks to the funds of the municipality and of private families, who thus assured their families their own private box during the stage-play. The curtain, signed and dated 1877 and painted by the artist Domenico Bruschi, depicts The Emperor Caligula Paying Tribute to the God Clitumnus. On the basis of his sketches the ceiling, the scaffolding and the proscenium decoration were also executed. In 1877, the building could finally be inaugurated with the representation of the opera Maria di Rohan of the composer Donizzetti. For almost a century, the Teatro Clitunno was at the center of the cultural, social and recreational activities of the town, until 1955, when with minor interventions it was transformed into a movie theater. A slow decline of the cinematographic halls had initiated, however, it was stopped by the general plan of restoration of the building carried out, during the years 1987-1993, by the municipality. From an architectural point of view, the lovely theater is structured in two orders of boxes and a loggia for a total audience capacity of 220 seats.