MAT – Museo Dell’alto Tavoliere di San Severo
The complex which houses the museum is an ancient convent adjoining the church, dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi, was founded in 1232. Due to the earthquake on July 30th 1627, it was rebuilt, expanding in the south-west direction towards the old route of the city walls. The structure was further affected by repairs carried out in the first half of the eighteenth century. The complex, with the suppression of the Franciscan order, was designated for many different uses to that of it’s original intent. From 1799 to 1806 a part of the convent was used as barracks for French and Austrian troops. From 1809 to 1810 it was a temporary base for the Town Hall and then an Institute for abandoned children. In the early twentieth century the entire complex was restored and used during the II World War as a military district. Since 1989 it hosts the Civic Museum, the Historical Archives and the A. Minuziano Library. Services: guided tours by art historians and archaeologists, workshops and educational games for children, refresher courses for teachers and students, creation and management of cultural events and meetings: meetings with authors and the presentation of volumes, creation and publishing catalogs.