Luogo - Museum
Raccolta d'arte di San Francesco e Museo della Civiltà dell'Ulivo
Where Largo Don Bosco, 14, Terni
San Francesco Convent Art Collection The Raccolta d’Arte di San Francesco is hosted inside the former Convent of San Francesco, in the historical city center of Trevi. The edifice was once the seat of a Franciscan convent, built around the 13th century, rebuilt and decorated in the first half of the 17th century, and again retouched during the 19th century. It has been transformed into the Museum hosting the “Raccolta d’Arte San Francesco” and the “Museo della Civiltà dell’Ulivo” since 1997. The Art Collection held in San Francesco deserves a careful visit, both for its beauty and for the beauty of the premises where it is collocated. In fact, the former Franciscan convent with its outdoor cloister, frescoed by Bernardino Gagliardi depicting the Stories from the Life of St Francis, hosts important works of the Umbrian school—from the 13th and 14th century—and paintings on canvases from some time between the 16th and 18th century, among which there is the famous altarpiece of the artist nicknamed Lo Spagna (1522). Today, the San Francesco Art Collection is part of the Trevi Museum Circuit together with the Olive Tree Civilization Museum and Palazzo Lucarini, which is fostering knowledge of contemporary art with exhibitions and complementary public events. The Museum exhibition is subdivided into two separate sections. The Archaeological section is displayed in three rooms on the ground floor. Recently set up in 2007, it collects Italic finds, finds of the Roman Age and funerary goods coming from the Longodard necropolis of the nearby locality of Pietrarossa. The section dedicated to Trevi and its territory displaying materials documenting its development is on the same floor. The Historical-Artistic section is held on the upper floors, and displays works of art coming from the 19th century post-Italian Unification requisitions of ecclesiastic assets. They are mostly paintings on wooden boards dating from the 14th century and important paintings on canvas executed between the 16th and the 18th century. Among these The Assumption of the Virgin of Alessandro Turchi, an artist from Verona who is better known as L’Orbetto, is of particular interest. Among the works collected the processional Gonfalon depicting The Virgin of Mercy and Monogram—of a follower of Niccolò Alunno in the second half of the 15th century—and The Coronation of the Virgin—executed in 1522 by Giovanni di Pietro, called Lo Spagna, for the main altar of the Church of San Martino—stand out. There are numerous references to the provenance of the works exhibited, and first among all is the nearby Madonna delle Lacrime Sanctuary, property of the Municipality, which hosts frescoes of Spagna and Perugino.