The historical residence of the Sassi de' Lavizzari family in the heart of the historical centre of Sondrio was built in the 16th century and rebuilt in the 18th. The most interesting room, located on the first floor, is the "stua", a typical feature of the alpine area completely lined with wooden panelling. The building is now municipal property and houses the Museo Valtellinese di Storia and Arte, founded in 1947. The centrepiece is the collection of items previously belonging to the painter Pietro Ligari, his family and his descendants, including paintings, manuscripts, drawings, prints, plaster sculptures, books and objects from the artist's studio. The inclusion of the section of the Museo Diocesano di Arte Sacra in 1963 with paintings, wooden sculptures and examples of the goldsmith's craft increased the items on display. The Museum offers various educational services aimed at the young and adults (workshops and temporary exhibitions).