Via Cesio Sabino, 39, Sarsina, (Forlì-Cesena)
This is without a doubt one of the most important archeological museums in northern Italy for the abundance and variety of the finds that it contains. It was established in 1890 as a municipal collection and has since expanded with finds recovered from the excavation of the necropolis of Pian di Bezzo and within the city, until it was acquired by the State in 1957. The collections of the museum almost exclusively of local origin cover mostly the Roman Age from the First century B.C and the Second to Third century. A.D., even though the entire chronological period represented in the collection extends from prehistory to late antiquity. The radical restructuring done in 1990 led to the full consolidation of some large funerary epigraphs, among which, the mausoleum of Rufus, which is some 13.5 meters high and dating from the late first century. B.C, is noted for its grandeur and is one of the major attractions. Also of great importance is the beautiful polychrome mosaic floor, known as "The Triumph of Dionysos" and the group of statues connecting numerous cult practices of the Orient. The set of findings provides a complete reading of the history of ancient Sassina, the birthplace of Plauto. The city, founded as the capital of the Umbrian people who inhabited the valley of Savio, which after the Roman conquest became a thriving municipality, linked to Ravenna by close trade and cultural relations.