c
Castle

Castello di Rovereto

Via Guglielmo Castelbarco, Rovereto, (Trento)

Stands on the rocky hill that dominates today's Podestà Square and finds its origins in the fourteenth century, when the Castelbarco family decided to make a defense of their feudal power. The Fortress was later occupied by the Venetian Republic in 1416, which completely changed the Medieval structure: the Venetians, under the direction of architects Giacomo Coltrino and Bartolomeo d'Alviano, are responsible of the polygonal shape and its prevailing military traits, trenches, the walls and ramparts, the moat, the well siege towers and grand Marino, Malipiero and Coltrino. In the second half of the seventeenth century, the Fortress lost its importance, undergoing extensive alterations.

Potrebbero interessarti