Abbazia di Paradigna
Paradigna Abbey, is a former Cistercian monastery located on the northern outskirts of Parma. Previously known as "St. Martin's Chartreuse", it was deconsecrated during the Napoleonic era. Today it houses the university's Research Center and Archive Communication. It was founded by Cardinal Gerardo Bianchi in 1298, although the Church and the Abbey were completed towards 1385. Over the centuries it grew considerably, up to host over 500 monks at the time of its suppression (1810). The Cchurch, with a Latin cross, is in Lombard Gothic style; in the presbytery are frescoes by Cesare Baglione. The interior has three naves with cross vault, the pillars are octagonal and hold arches. Inside there were also a valuable high altar, a fresco by Parmigianino on the presbyter and several other paintings. All the works of art were transferred to the Academy of Fine Arts in Parma. The facade has undergone a makeover that dates back to the eighteenth century.