c
Comune

Desenzano del Garda

Desenzano del Garda, (Brescia)

Desenzano del Garda is located in the lower Garda Lake, in Lombardy. In 1873, the excavations conducted by Pietro Polotti found a Bronze Age-age pile-dwelling station and in the locality Lavagnone, Renato Perini found another coeval settlement that in 2011 became part of UNESCO World Heritage. Roman Villa, whose remains can be seen at Borgo Regio, was built between the 2nd and 3rd centuries along Via Gallica as a residence for wealthy citizens. Desenzano core developed around Borgo Regio, probably on the pre-existing Roman villa. The twelfth century saw the construction of new castle, Castrum novum. For a short period at the beginning of the XVI century, Desenzano passed to Duchy of Mantua, and then returned to Serenissima by order of Louis XII of France. Among the monuments and places of interest: Church of Santa Maria Maddalena, which houses inside frescoes by Andrea Celesti and Gian Battista Tiepolo; Early Medieval Castle, today the site of summer events; the sixteenth century Piazza Malvezzi; PortoVvecchio; beaches and parks near the lake (Desenzanino, Spiaggia d'Oro and Spiaggia di Rivoltella). Parco del Laghetto, the main city park, offers hiking trails, two basketball courts, an ice rink, a skate park and a football pitch on the ground.

Places