The Cathedral of Brindisi (or Basilica of the Visitation and St. John the Baptist) was consecrated by Pope Urban II in 1089, completed in 1143 and underwent several restorations over the centuries. The plant is similar to that of the Basilica of St. Nicholas of Bari: three naves without transept. The facade was completed in the '20s, with a gable, then replaced by the statues of the saints. In the interior it can find fragments of the mosaic floor of 1178, the wooden choir of 1594, made by local carvers, the font of the sixteenth century and some eighteenth century paintings. The Chapel of St. Theodore of Amasea, patron of Brindisi along with St. Lorenzo, hosts the remains of the martyr and was recognized as "ecumenical": a place of prayer for the Orthodox. Leaning against the Cathedral are the bell tower and the Palace of the Seminary.