Luogo - Historical building

Palazzo d'Accursio

Where Piazza del Nettuno, 3, Bologna

Overlooking Piazza Maggiore and is currently the Town Hall of Bologna. Currently, it appears as a collection of buildings joined over the centuries, but the beginning was the home of the jurist Accursio. In 1336 it became the residence of the Elders, the highest judiciary of the City and then the seat of city government. In the fifteenth century it was restored by Fioravante Fioravanti, who said among other things the Clock Tower. Other architectural renovations date back to the early sixteenth century. The Madonna and Child is a work in terracotta by Nicolò dell'Arca (1478) exposed the top of the facade. Inside it is preserved memories of the historical and political events of the city of Bologna. It is also present inside the Morandi Museum, whose works were donated by the family of the painter. In recent history, the Palace is infamous for the massacre that brings its name (November 21, 1920). The City Council Hall is located on the first floor and contains the Gallery of Senators of Bologna, painted between 1675 and 1677 by Angelo Michele Colonna. Gallery Vidoniana was built by Cardinal Pietro Vidoni in 1665. Currently there is exposed an important collection of paintings, furniture and furnishings from the nineteenth donations. Sala Farnese is located on the second floor and was built in 1665 by Cardinal Girolamo Farnese. The Sala Borsa Library is located inside the Palace, on ancient Roman ruins, probably coinciding with the ancient forum, visible through a glass floor.

 
 

Potrebbero interessarti