The Civic Tower, better known as the "Great Bell", is overlooking Piazza Vecchia. Until the nineteenth century was the center and the institutional representative of the "high city" (bell booster for festivities and public celebrations). Its construction dates back to the twelfth century, as part of a fortified complex owned by the family Suardi-Colleoni. The complex is intended, in 1197, at headquarters and residence of the Podestà until the fifteenth century. Around the tower there are all representative buildings of political, religious and cultural centre of the city. Today the tower has a height of over 52 meters and is one of the observers on the scenic city and its territory.