Luogo - Museum
Museo civico "Luigi Rossi Danielli"
Where Piazza Francesco Crispi, 2, Viterbo
Since 1955, the Museum has been housed in the cloister and premises of the convent annexed to the church of Santa Maria della Verità, founded in the 12th century by the Premostratensians and renovated in the 14th century by the Servite Fathers. The exhibition is articulated on three levels, in two chronological sections: the ancient era on the lower floor, the Middle Ages and modern period on the upper floors. The Cloister and adjacent rooms house Etruscan and Roman archaeological finds from the Viterbo territory covering a chronological period that runs from the 8th century B.C. to the 3rd century A.D.: sarcophagi, funerary stones, and slab fragments (mostly from Ferento). A room is dedicated to Annio from Viterbo and the false relics that the friar realised to support his hypotheses about the Etruscan history of the main city of Tuscia. The first floor exhibits the historical-artistic section, formed after the Unification of Italy: mediaeval paintings and sculptures (including the Madonna con bambino by Vitale da Bologna and the Sfinge by Pasquale Romano) and modern era paintings (Pietà and Flagellazione by Sebastiano del Piombo, works of the Viterbo school and of Salvator Rosa, Antiveduto Grammatica and Aurelio Lomi). The second floor is reserved for the minor arts and historical memories. A 16th century papal treasure and a set of 18th century chemist’s ceramics, as well as a collection of drawings-designs of the “Macchina di Santa Rosa”, are exhibited. The exhibition ends with a gallery of 18th century portraits.