Imposing building was erected in the XIII century on the ruins of a church dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari. The building underwent numerous reconstructions during the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. The structure is simple, with a Latin cross, with three naves and three apses. The nave is supported by six marble columns in rose stone of Taormina, with leafy capitals and scale fish, coming perhaps from Greek-Roman Theatre. The ceiling is characterized by large wooden beams with carved shelves with Arab motifs rendered in Gothic style. For the severity of medieval building and exterior elements of fortification, Cathedral is named "Cathedral-Fortress". The facade is characterized by the fact battlements crown while on the back there is the bastion tower on which, in 1750, the bells were placed. Of particular value the main portal, restored in 1936, and the large central Renaissance-inspired rosette. In 1948 Neapolitan architect Armando Dillon completed the restoration of the church putting light on primitive structures of the apse arches and restoring the terraced roofs on the aisles.