Luogo - Religious building
Chiesa di Cristo Salvatore
Where Via Luigi Nuvoloni, 5, Sanremo (Imperia)
The Church of Christ the Saviour, one of the symbols of the city, is an orthodox church born at the beginning of the twentieth century at the behest of the Russian community, which had chosen the city of Sanremo as a tourist spot for curative stays. Among ups and downs, mainly due to lack of funds, the foundation stone was laid in 1912, at the beginning of the Empress Walk (in honor of the Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna, wife of Alexander II). The original design was by Russian architect Alexei Scusev, then finished by local engineer Pietro Agosti, who supervised the decoration of so-called "Wonders of the Seven Seas".