Crustumerium, according to the ancient authors, was a city overlooking the Tiber between Eretum and Fidenae; thanks to these clear testimonies, which must be added the indication of the exact distance from Rome along the Via Salaria, was easy to identify the historic site, marked by a large area of archaeological materials from the surface.
The city, Latin for the majority of ancient authors, seems to arise between X and IX century BC and from the beginning his story is connected to the events of the birth and development of Rome; among other things, is one of the centers protagonists of the famous episode of the legendary historical Rape of the Sabines. He reached the peak of its bloom in the seventh and sixth centuries BC; its decline marked the end of the fifth century., the relentless expansion of Rome.
After the exit of the Florence-Rome, at the end of the long straight final, the hills for a few miles Crustumerium accompany the path of those who reach the capital.The 'ancient city of Crustumerium is therefore the first of the archaeological sites that meet coming the most important route linking Europe with almost an official presentation in Rome.
And it is a worthy presentation: Crustumerium, in fact, is the only center of the ancient civilization of Latium not compromised by modern development and throughout the area, the landscape is remarkably preserved.
Currently the area of the ancient city is known only in outline, with sporadic surface surveys and excavations of the Archaeological Superintendency of Rome (from 1982) have, however, led to the discovery of about two hundred graves and the recovery of important tombs compounds ceramics and bronzes (about 120 pieces were recovered in only 9 tomb excavated in 1987 in the locality. Monte Del Bufalo).
The clandestine diggers in the past decades have been able to prey on thousands of burial (many objects of great value have appeared recently in the antique markets abroad), causing extensive damage to the scientific heritage and partly compromising future research.
The whole area of the town, the surrounding necropolis and part of the territory of the ancient center for an area of about 440 acres, is protected under the laws 1089/39 and 1497/39. An area of 58 hectares, including part of the funerary areas of Monte Del Bufalo and Cisterna Grande was purchased by the Public Administration in 1998.