Palazzo dei Conservatori
The Palace of the Conservatives is located in Campidoglio Square and owes its name to the fact of having been the seat of the judiciary elective town (Conservatives, of course). The Palace was built by Nicholas V to emphasize the power of the pope and his superiority over the civic authorities. Michelangelo Buonarroti, who was commissioned the work of the reorganization of the square, he designed the new facade, but could not see over, because he died before the works were completed. The work was continued by Guido Guidetti and completed in 1568 by Giacomo Della Porta, who faithfully followed almost the drawings by Michelangelo, except for a wider boardroom of the first floor. The Courtyard has always been the privileged place of the collection of antiquities. On the right side are the fragments of the colossal statue of the Emperor Constantine: these are the different parts of the great statue of the Emperor, discovered in 1486; on the left side they are placed pads with the Roman provinces and war trophies from the Temple of Hadrian in Piazza di Pietra. At the back of the court, within the porch built by Alessandro Specchi, appears the group formed by the seated statue of Rome and the two prisoners, Clement XI bought in 1720 from the Cesi collection.