Sismondo Castle takes its name from its inventor and manufacturer, Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, Lord of Rimini and Fano. The current structure is merely the core of the Castle, which was originally defended by a further round of walls and a moat. Built starting in 1437, it was conceived as a fortress and palace of representation. To follow the work, he was called to Rimini Filippo Brunelleschi. The complex, like a fortress, was completely enclosed by the outer wall with an irregular shape, within which there were two great outdoors: the Court at Sea, facing the city, and the Court of Relief, to the countryside. The two courts communicated through a lower court built inside the core of the Castle, the Rocca di Mezzo, in turn divided into two main buildings: the Mastio and the Wing of Isolde, connected to an intermediate level through a covered walkway. Historical documents attest to the existence of underground passages covered on horseback that communicated directly with the outside world and the various pitfalls. The Fortress was characterized by a vivid multicolour, created with plaster by Malatesta heraldic colors (green, red and white), witnessed by the writings of the fifteenth century, the representation of Piero della Francesca in the fresco in the Malatesta Temple and traces of red glazes found on the Gate Tower.