The square takes its name from the basilica and is one of the most important in the city. It is also called Piazza Piccola and is connected by a porch street, Broletto, to Piazza Grande, that is Piazza del Duomo. It has an approximately rectangular shape, with three portable sides. On the other side stands the Church of San Prospero with octagonal bell tower. On the opposite side are the apse and dome of the cathedral. The square is characterized by the presence of six red marble lions on the basilica's churchyard, 1503 by the sculptor Gaspare Bigi.