Religious building

Basilica Minore

Via T. Trinchera, 28, Ostuni, (Brindisi)

Minor Basilica of Ostuni, placed at the top of the highest hill, was begun in 1435 and completed in 1495. It has a facade of late Gothic style, divided into three by pilasters: the central part ends with a gable with two arches and a crowning inflected Gothic which extends on the sides; opened by three Gothic portals surmounted by a rose (the central rose window is the second largest in Europe). The interior has a Latin cross with three naves on columns, presents forms eighteenth century, with painted ceiling and Bbaroque chapels. At the end of the left nave is a wooden altar (1734) with busts of Saints Oronzo, Biagio and Augustine. In the apse, there is a chorus in walnut richly carved (seventeenth century), and in the right nave the tomb of Bishop Filo (1720). The Archive chapter has over 200 parchments from 1137.

 
 

Potrebbero interessarti