Located on this site since 1150, it was damaged by the first earthquake of 1542. Church was rebuilt in its present size, only to be severely hit by the earthquake of 1693. It was rebuilt in Baroque style between the eighteenth century and 1839, when architect Salvatore Toscano designed the second and third order of the facade and monumental staircase leading down to the square. The building was slightly injured by another earthquake, which led to the decision to further modify the facade, giving shape to the final of the late nineteenth century, in Neoclassical style. Inside, at the foot of the main altar, it is resting an ark containing Saint Temperance's body.