Museo Provinciale del Territorio
Via Arpi 155, Foggia
The Museum of the Territory is located on via Arpi, on the ground floor of the building that was once the Convent of the Augustinian friars and former hospital, built near Porta Piccola, to accommodate the pilgrims who came to the sanctuary of Mount St. Angelo along the Via Sacra Langobardorum. The complex, including the church of St. Augustine which was built in the twelfth century, was enlarged and remodelled in 1599 and again in 1714, then badly damaged by bombing in 1943 and was then restored in 1954. The museum was founded with the aim of providing the population of the city and province, and in particular the schools, a means to reveal the socio-economic characters and events of the ‘Capitanata’ from the early Neolithic settlements until the events of the last century.