• Follow us
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • instagram
Edificio storico

Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo (o del Bargello)

Piazza Giacomo Matteotti, Perugia Tempo di lettura: meno di 1 minuto

Located in the district of St. Peter's Gate, it was built for the transfer of the judiciary between 1473 and 1481, from Gasparino d'Antonio e Leone di Matteo. Its history goes hand in hand that Great Square. It looks like an elegant Renaissance building with Gothic overtones. In its original version, it had a top battlements, destroyed in the earthquake of 1741, when it was removed also the third floor. The building was then consolidated and restructured by Luigi Vanvitelli. On the front there are four mullioned windows framed by garlands; the first floor is the Loggia dei Banditori, supported by corbels. The portal, decorated with twisted columns, is surmounted by two griffins that claw a calf and a ram, and a bezel with a central allegory of Justice. To the left of the Palace, open pointed arches leading to the Loggia dei Lanari and Market Hall.