Religious building

Santuario di Santa Maria di Capo Colonna

Piazza Duomo, Crotone

Sanctuary of St. Mary of Column Cape is located near archaeological area, on Lacinio promontory, in Crotone. Church housed an icon particularly venerated, today transferred in Cathedral of Crotone: probably of Byzantine origin (X-XI century), depicting St. Luke and was donated by St. Dionysius the Areopagite. The building is next to the temple dedicated to Hera Lacinia, of which today remains a single Doric column. Today structure was built by Basilian monks of Salice Salentino between the eleventh and thirteenth centuries. After many changes, in the eighteenth century Church was transformed into a hermitage and in 1897 acquired its present appearance, on design by Anselmo Berlingeri.

Potrebbero interessarti