Castello di Conversano
Castle was built by Normans around 1054, as pure purpose of a defensive fortress, and became residence of Acquaviva Counts. It was built on ancient megalithic walls dating from the sixth to fourth centuries BC, still visible at the base of the main tower, the only survivor. It has a trapezoidal shape, with the four corners originally occupied by the towers, facing cardinal points. Since the fifteenth century Acquaviva family transformed ancient fortress into a princely residence and consolidated some defensive elements, including cylindrical tower, now become symbol of Conversano. By the presence of the battlements the tower was rebuilt in a later age. Polygonal one was built by Andrea Matteo Acquaviva, Giulio Antonio's son, with the characteristic shoe shape and slightly inclined walls to muffle artillery attacks. On the terrace there is a battlement suits mouths of cannons, while the narrow slits along the sides of the polygon allowed the placement of ammunition. Today the tower is partially buried, but was once surrounded by a moat. Date back to the nineteenth windows and balconies of the facade on Castle Square. Castle houses inside Civic Art Gallery, where they are exposed canvases of the cycle "La Gerusalemme Liberata", by Finoglio. On the second floor there is Art Gallery Francesco Netti and exhibition of historical clothing titled "Wedding at the Castle".
Tue-Sun 9:00 am 1:00 pm; 4:00/8:00 pm