Museo storico Giuseppe Garibaldi
The Museo Storico Giuseppe Garibaldi is housed in Palazzo Olginati, originally built in the 15th century but frequently renovated, most recently halfway through the 19th century. The building was donated to the city of Como together with all its furnishings and fittings in the will of Carlotta, the last descendant of the Olginati family, on condition that it was used to house "a museum dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi in memory of the General's stay there" in 1866. It is divided into two main sections, The first is devoted above all to the struggle for national unification and illustrates the key stages in the history of the city and the country as from the initial uprisings through the wars of independence and the deeds of Garibaldi up to the two world wars. The second displays fabrics, items of clothing, furniture and other objects of various kinds documenting aspects of life in Como from the 17th to the 20th century.