The Theater was built at the decision of Decurionate of Chieti to overcome the lack of seating in the Old Theatre, dating from the second half of the eighteenth century. Work began in 1813, designed by architect Eugene Michitelli. In 1817 the work was completed, and the opening show was "La Cenerentola", by Gioachino Rossini. In 1872, the engineer Luigi Daretti was commissioned by the city to treat enlargement of the Theatre: were thus added a gallery and the staircase leading to the balcony. In addition, the audience was renovated by architects Giovanni Vecchio and Enrico Santuccione in semicircular shape. In 1874 work began more aesthetic improvement: in the ceiling of the hall was added a wooden canopy divided into eight sectors, each of which is decorated with paintings of allegorical figures symbolizing thereby theater arts and music. Since August 2001, it was recognized "Liric Theater of Abruzzo".