c
Religious building

Chiesa e Convento di Sant'Agostino

Piazza Aguselli, 42, Cesena, (Forlì-Cesena)

Already Monastery of Observant Friars, it was sold at the end of the fifteenth century, by the will of Malatesta family, to Augustinian monks who undertook a vast work of restructuring and decoration of Church and Convent. The work was completed around 1520 and at the time retained numerous valuable paintings scattered during Napoleonic occupation, except for Disproportion on Immaculate Conception by Girolamo Genga, today at Pinacoteca di Brera. The present form of the church dates back to 1748: the facade, drawn by Luigi Vanvitelli, remained unfinished; the basilica's interior has a single nave with three chapels per side that retain works and paintings of great interest: Immaculate Conception, St. James and Sant'Erasmo (1670) by Cristoforo Serra; Strage of Innocents (1627), by Giovan Battista Razzani; the Saints martyrs and Augustinians of Giuseppe Milani (1771).

Potrebbero interessarti