The Shrine of Our Lady of Bonaria, the most important of Sardinia, is located in Cagliari, on the hill of the same name. It consists of a small church which is accompanied by a larger temple, elevated to the title of Basilica in 1926. Entrusted to the fathers Mercedarians, inhabiting the adjacent convent, it is the parish seat of the Bonaria district. First example of Catalan-Gothic architecture in Sardinia, is located in the place where the King Alfonso of Aragon, in 1324, had built a fortified castle. The Basilica (1704), is a work by Antonio Felice De Vincenti. Originally designed in the Baroque style, it suffered several interruptions and changes, until the eighteenth century architect Giuseppe Viana reworked the project in Neoclassical style. During the Second World War, the building suffered serious damage due to the bombing and was renovated between 1947 and 1960 and then again in 1998.