Comune

Bagnolo in Piano

Bagnolo in Piano, (Reggio Emilia)
Bagnolo in Piano is a comune (municipality) in the province of Reggio Emilia in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna, located about 60 kilometres (37 mi) northwest of Bologna and about 8 kilometres (5 mi) northeast of Reggio nell'Emilia.Bagnolo in Piano borders the following municipalities: Cadelbosco di Sopra, Correggio, Novellara, Reggio Emilia. Sights include the Torrazzo, a medieval tower which is what remains of the castle destroyed by the French during the War of Spanish Succession, and the medieval Pieve, in the frazione of Pieve Rossa.HistoryAccording to the tradition, the hamlet was founded in 946 when the bishop of Reggio founded a church here. The local pieve (pleban church) is known from 1144. It was acquired by the House of Gonzaga in 1335 together with Reggio Emilia and Novellara. The local rocca (castle) was rebuilt by Feltrino Gonzaga in 1354.It was part of the independent County of Novellara and Bagnolo until 1728, when the state was returned to the hands of Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor. The latter transferred them to the Rinaldo III, Duke of Modena (House of Este) in 1737.International relationsTwin towns – Sister citiesBagnolo in Piano is twinned with: Gemenos, France Banino, PolandReferences

Places