Piazza del Mercatale
Large trapezoidal Square, closed on the north side of the wall and connected to the city by Valbona Gate. The Square was built by filling earth excavation for the construction of the Ducal Palace and supported by a large wall with arches, "Risciolo's Voult", by Francesco di Giorgio Martini. Square hosted commercial activities (which took its name), games with animals (Bullfights of Mercatale), rides and knightly tournaments. From 1875 also it hosted the games of "Ball with Bracelet". The function of Mercatale changed in the second half of the twentieth century, following the intervention by the architect De Carlo, who designed an underground car park, which was followed by the installation of a surface parking.