Created in 1563 by the will of Duke Guidobaldo II della Rovere, the Square looks like a long sloping rectangle, whose western side is occupied by the Ducal Palace, while the opposite side, from the St. Domicic's Church and Petrangolini Palace. The Square corresponds to the route of the Cardo Maximus of ancient Roman city. In the sixteenth century it housed the "Ball Game", much like the Florentine football; then, between the eighteenth and nineteenth century, it came to identify with "Playing Ball with Bracelet". Between the nineteenth and into the twentieth century, it took place in this Square the usual city market. The northern side is occupied by an Egyptian obelisk, gift by Pope Clement XI to the city.