Point of interest

Passeggiata del Gianicolo

Passeggiata del Gianicolo, Roma

The Walk of Janiculum Hill, which offers one of the most romantic and suggestive panorama of the historical center of Rome, was built in 1849 and is divided into two main avenues of plane trees, skirting the Villa Aurelia, that are joined on Piazzale Garibaldi and continuing, in a winding road, to the Church of St. Onofrio. On the Walk there are lined the busts of Garibaldini who fought for the defense of Rome in 1849. The Janiculum was intended as a public garden in 1857, placing the bust of Torquato Tasso at the old oak tree where he retired to meditate; ten years later, designed by Frederick Archangels, was made the winding road; we have to wait the 1881 to see the Janiculum recognized his urbanistic dignity. Since 1904, under the Belvedere of the Janiculum, at noon three soldiers firing a cannon, according to the tradition begun by Pope Pius IX.

Potrebbero interessarti