In 1626, Pope Urban VIII commissioned Pietro Bernini, who was already working the expansion of the Acqua Vergine, to create a fountain in the square below the Church of Trinità dei Monti. Bernini designed the Fountain shaped like a boat, with an oval tub placed slightly below street level, with identical bow and stern, raised above the edges. At the center of the boat, a short baluster supports a small oblong tank, from which comes out a gush of water falling inside, and then overflow from the sides into the basin below. The water flows from six points, two sculptures in the shape of the sun with a human face, and four circular holes similar to the mouths of cannon. In addition to the only two complete two papal coats of arms and decorations. According to a popular version, this particular form may have been inspired by the presence, on the Square, of a aground boat carried by the flood of the Tiber in 1598. Several were, over time, the policy of conservation and restoration.